Tuesday, September 16, 2008

that little imagination is blossoming!

For me one of the biggest indicators of a child moving from (Jean) Piaget's 'sensori-motor' stage (0-2) to the 'pre-operational' stage (2-6), has been the appearance of a child's imagination... & evidentally my little girl is making the transition from sensori-motor to pre-operational!

The past few days Gaby has been saying things &/or doing things which show that her imagination is coming out of its shell.

The first thing I really noticed was when we were leaving Mum & Dad's house & she said "going to go in the truck" - when obviously I drive a CAR, not a truck

The second thing - Gaby kept telling Kai the other night that she was going to "go in the plane"

The third thing - yesterday Gaby was pushing her toy dolphin around on the car saying "brmm brmm" - ie she was using the dolphin as a car

And the forth thing - just this morning Gaby got my handbag out of my room, put her shoes on, went to the door & told me she was going to the 'smarket' (supermarket). I told her we needed bread, milk & vegemite & she said "Okay" then waved goodbye to me!

Just had to share, because I think it is really fascinating!

1 comment:

Anna said...

What a cutie patootie.